Succumbing to Peer Pressure

I didn't MEAN to start a blog. But she made me do it.

Monday, April 16, 2007

Leftovers from a Woman Who Cannot Chew

I said I'd share more about my Mother In Law, and here I am, at last, doing just that.
This is the Food Issues post. I think every family has its own food issue posts, its own MIL posts as well. Here's mine.
My MIL had throat cancer a billion years ago (she's 9 billion years old give-or-take)and so she has no voice box and a hole in her throat. She has an external voice box with a little "straw" she talks into and the box is her "speaker". She coughs and the nastiness comes out of the hole in her neck. I cannot explain how disgusting this is. She will reach up to her neck grab a glob of bloody sputum and puuuuuuuuuuuuull it out in stringy gloppiness through the neck-hole and then flick it casually to the ground (and then want to touch you!).
In recent years her throat has been closing up and she has to have it dilated every 4-6 weeks. She needed to have a feeding tube placed in her gut since she can barely swallow. She can't eat. She undergoes the dilations because "at least being able to drink tea with friends makes life seem normal" You should know she doesn't drink tea. At all. You should know her bar tab was over $800 one month. I'll let you decide what she wants to drink with her friends ok? You should also know that its less socially acceptable to pour your box-o-wine straight into your belly tube. It is POSSIBLE though.
Ok got the idea?
Back in the days when she had a car and a license to drive my MIL was a member of the yacht club (not that she EVER owned a boat- just that she ENJOYS the company of the pretentious drunken boat people). Her monthly bar tab was higher than her apartment rent. But she was happy.
Sadly, her precious son married a lazy, no-good woman who doesn't cook (that'd be me). Now, for the record, her son has gained weight consistently each year of his marriage, and he wasn't stick-thin to begin with. No matter. MIL fears her dear son will wither away. It pains her to see him suffer. So she hung out at her club, and when her friends had their plates cleared (remember MIL subsists on a liquid diet) she had their food bagged. She would come by, drunk, bearing gifts. Bringing the leftovers from 6-10 drunken STRANGERS to my home. A gift to her poor neglected, abused, starving son and her poor grandchildren.
see the starving grandchild?


and her poor starving son?



yes, clearly what we need here is food. We are in fact so desperate that we want half eaten bar food.

There is a bar within walking distance of her new apartment. To get there she must walk past my house (but she usually goes around the block so we don't see her). This new bar of hers is a DIVE.

I had somehow forgotten the years of nasty leftovers. Leftovers which often sat in her car for DAYS before she brought them to us. What could be better than that?
But last week she walked over with a stack of leftovers from the bar.
Oh I am SO lucky to have a MIL who cares.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Stepping on Legos said...

This post is *perfection*! Seriously, I am dying here! The visual!!!!!!!!! You made my day! Encore! Encore!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger stockingup99 said...

thanks kimmi, I needed a laugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home