Succumbing to Peer Pressure

I didn't MEAN to start a blog. But she made me do it.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

a year ago this month

a year ago September my toddler got his port put in. He started IVIG infusions to treat his faulty immune system.
Oh port, how I love thee. Oh IVIG how I love thee too.
In the last year he has only been septic once. Only had 2 serious skin infections. Only 6 or 7 ear infections (yes, he already has tubes). Only had 2 lung infections worth noting. Only a couple sinus infections. I suppose that sounds terrible to some of you, now that I wrote it out. But his first year and a half was spent swinging from one catastrophic illness to the next. So this is So Good. The other thing is- most of those were in the first half of the year. This summer was just amazing for us. Amazing. He hasn't been admitted to the hospital in 9 months!! He has spent weeks on end being healthy.
Today is another infusion. His 16th. I am stressed, I am always stressed about them, but I am so thankful for them. My boy-in-a-bubble has been to the zoo! The science center! the library! The park! What scary germ infested places! We used caution, and boatloads of sanitizer, but we WENT. Like real people.

IVIG doesn't "build up". You are super healthy after an infusion, and average a week or so later, and at risk again after a couple of weeks as your body uses up the antibodies you recieved. He was still sick in the early months because your body is more than just antibodies. His organs were taxed, his central nervous system was fried, his vitamin and mineral stores were depleted. He was still recovering. Every cell in his body was so abused in the first year and a half that each one needed to heal. The IVIG did its best to keep infections at bay while he healed up. Every month he got stronger. Every month he got healthier. Every season our lives got closer to normal.

My boy is 2 and a half years old. He is robust, rosy cheeked, delightful. His energy, humor, and charm will melt your heart. He is not just alive, he is LIVELY.

IVIG how I love thee.

3 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Country Dawn said...

It was soooo awesome to see him running around at the potluck! You'd never know he had any "issues" at all!

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sept 2007??? Honey, it is time to post again! ;-D You know it's true, you need to tell us some more lovin' stories about your kids.

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger stockingup99 said...

Sending good vibes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home